Mariastein is the smallest village in the area around the Hohe Salve mountain.
The white castle church was built by the lords of Freundsberg around 1360 to guard the Roman road which used to run below it.
The former Knights' Hall of the castle now serves as the castle museum, which houses, among other things, a Tyrolean archduke's hat and a sceptre donated by Archduke Maximilian III.
The Archdiocese of Salzburg has been running the pilgrimage site since the 19thC.
Definitives - Traditional Costumes
Pilgrimage Church Mariastein