Thursday, July 29, 2010

BELGIUM ~The Four Lifts on the Canal du Centre and their Environs, La Louvière and Le Roeulx (Hainault)-UNESCO~

Got two cards today...
This Belgium Unesco site was sent by ... myself! I visited this site on tuesday and I found it very interesting.( My card shows ascenseur nr 2. the hydraulic boat lift on the old Canal du Centre in Houdeng-Goegnies) There are 4 asenceurs in total!
My second card shows a " platypus" you can see him when you look very closely :-). I didn't know much about this animal, so I've learned again something new through my postcards!


The lifts on the old Canal du Centre are a series of four hydraulic boat lifts near the town of La Louvière, classified both as Wallonia's Major Heritage and as a World Heritage Site (province of Hainaut). Along a particular 7 km stretch of the Canal du Centre, which connects the river basins of the Meuse and the Scheldt, the water level rises by 66.2 meters. To overcome this difference, the 15.4-meter lift at Houdeng-Goegnies was opened in 1888, and the other three lifts, each with a 16.93m rise, opened in 1917.

1 comment:

  1. I've visited Belgium last september and loved it. It was kind of an Unesco trip, i've been to 7 of the 10 sites. Unfortunately this site wasn't one of them and i could find any cards of it.
    Anyway, i'm sure ill visit Belgium again and visit other unesco and non unesco places.
    Hugs,
    Marta

    ReplyDelete