The bridge connects Seville and the neighborhood district, Triana which is situated in the west bank of the Guadalquivir River. The original name of the bridge is Isabel II Bridge which was built in 1847 – 1852 and inaugurated on 23rd February 1852 with military ceremonial parade.
The bridge was built by the French engineers Bernadet and Steinacher, they were inspired by the Parisian Carousel bridge.
This bridge, declared national historic heritage, also has the honor to be the first steady bridge to cross the Guadalquivir, replacing a wooden one known as "Puente de Barcas" (the Rowboats Bridge).
King Felipe VI