Monday, September 3, 2012

SRI LANKA ~Tea factory in the hill county~

 ...This is a breathtaking view of a tea factory in the middle of the most nicest landscape you can think of...green rolling hills filled with row after row of tea plants as far as the eye can see...with these unbelievable green colors.... after water the most widely-consumed drink in the world...

...I must say we Belgian are not traditionally tea drinkers,we much preferring coffee over tea... But I would love to taste teas known by exotic names such as Nuwara Eliya, Uva, Kandy,Uda Pussellawa, Dimbula and Ruhuna. Thanks a lot Ravindra!! (✿ ♥‿♥)

Tea production in Sri Lanka is of high importance to the Sri Lankan economy and the world market.The country is the world's fourth largest producer of tea and the industry is one of the country's main sources of foreign exchange.

The central highlands of the island, abundant rainfall, combined with sunshine, cold nights and mists and the level of humidity offered the perfect climate for producing high quality aromatic teas.

The very tall trees you see are Eucalyptus trees which are known for their deep roots. They are planted to prevent erosion.



And as usual with really lovely stamps!!

6 comments:

  1. Stunning landscape indeed!

    Considering tea/coffee, I think in the Netherlands it is 50/50. Also I prefer coffee, but many of my friends and colleagues prefer tea. And many do both: coffee time in the morning, tea time in the afternoon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely card and how nice that it gives us another view of tea. I can't really say which is more popular in Japan, tea or coffee. Of course there is the tea ceremony tradition, but nowadays coffee is popular too. However, many restaurants still give customers tea when they first sit down, either green tea or mugicha (barley tea). Coffee is for after your meal, usually in a teeny cup, and very rarely are second cups offered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! How nice! My partner and I planned to visit Sri Lanka and stay in one of the villas in a tea plantation but then ... we didn't go! It was quite expensive for us due to unavailability of direct flights. It's very nice to be reminded of my dreams to see the place. My favorite brand of tea is Dilmah from Sri Lanka :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeously green, love the trees up the hillside. I remember the chocolate that sometimes came with coffee when visiting Belgium, no chance I was going to opt for tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this postcard! I've been in two plantations of tea, in the Azores, and those were wonderful walks. But I guess those gardens, as they are called in the islands, are far smaller that big factories in Asia... Sort of dreamed trip!

    ReplyDelete