When the Forth Rail Bridge was opened on March 4 1890 by the Prince of Wales, this bridge was the longest cantilever bridge in the world and the first major crossing made entirely of steel.
It was designed by two English engineers, Benjamin Baker and Sir John Fowler, and took eight years to build at a cost of £3.2m. Seventy one workers are known to have been killed during construction.
Spanning 2,529m, weighing 51.324 tonnes and containing 6.5m rivets, the bridge, now operated by Network Rail, still carries 200 trains per day over the Firth of Forth, linking Fife with the Lothians.
The Forth Bridge is Scotland’s sixth World Heritage site, joining Edinburgh Old and New Towns, the Heart of Neolithic Orkney, New Lanark, the Antonine Wall and St Kilda. (2015)